What is a Concept Map?
A concept map can help you identify the key ideas or concepts to use when you're researching your topic using books and articles. To complete the concept map:
- Open or print a copy of the blank Concept Map linked below. You can also view a completed sample version.
- Complete Step 1 on the worksheet by writing down your topic or research question, and identifying keywords in your topic (you should have two or three). These are the words or concepts that are most important in your topic. They may be a single word, or a short phrase.
- Complete Step 2 on the worksheet:
- Write your keywords in the boxes provided, with one keyword in each box.
- Brainstorm alternate keywords for each one. Alternate keywords could be synonyms, or similar concepts or ideas that fall within the same general category as your keywords.
- Write your alternate keywords in the box associated with each keyword.